Monday, March 7, 2011

To finish my story

I say that a lot.
"I need to finish my story!"
I say it when I tell people about my writing and the stories I want to complete.
I say it (politely) when I'm telling a funny anecdote and somehow get interrupted.
And I say it when I'm reading something aloud to my captivated audience and fan club

which consists of 3.5 people, I think. Maybe. I might be being overly generous to myself.

Ahem...
So,
here's the final bit in the tale of Me and the Man.

After our first date, we hung out a few times. Once, he invited me over to watch movies with him and his friends. I told a guy friend of mine (the brotherly kind of friend) about the outing and his advice was:
No kissing!
I laughed. And I laugh in retrospect. Because I went over there and we watched Red Eye scary! and there was no kissing. After it was over, he walked me to my car and gave me one of those side-ish hugs. The kind your third-grade teacher would give you when you told her you could spell "congratulations."

hoo, boy. Did this guy even like me??
Here's the answer: um, yeah. When he asked me for our second date, he asked me on Monday for a date on Saturday. That's like, 6 days in advance! Who does that? At least nowadays.
He does. 
Because he likey.

March 11, 2006
First kiss.
It was raining.
Me likey.

A few months later, I knew he was The One. I knew because I loved him and when I thought of him, it felt like a light was growing brighter inside me. And he made my fear go away. In times past, whenever I started getting serious with a guy, I would freak out and get scared.
With him, I still freaked out and got scared.
But he knew me well enough and loved me well enough to help me conquer my fear and help me learn that fear comes from a source that doesn't want another eternal family to come together. 

On August 12, 2006, I said yes.
He proposed by taking me back to the place we went on our first date. No, not the embarrassment of the masquerade party. The racquetball courts. He got on one knee.

On November 11, 2006, in the Mesa Temple, we came together. A new eternal family.

It hasn't been easy. You might even say we've had trials that some couples will never have to face.
But he'll always be The One.
He still helps me conquer my fears and doubts.
And tells me it's okay to feel sad, then wipes away my tears.

And I know that there was never a person so perfect for me.
Even when he and I and life are so imperfect.





8 comments:

Saimi said...

Awe, I got goosebumps reading this post! You two are such a sweet looking couple and you definitely have had your share of trials but what a comfort knowing you have an eternal companion to lean on in times of need.

It's been fun reading about how you got together! Me likey!!

Carrie said...

So sweet..and I love that you said it hasn't always been easy...but that together you have and will get through it all. True love. For sure.

PS. Your dress was GORGEOUS. I want to see a close-up of that!

Lindsey said...

You guys are so cute! And I love that last pic of you two - it's ADORABLE!

Momza said...

you needed to put a "tissue warning" at the top!!
beautiful. thanks for finishing your story!

Unknown said...

bravo! I love a happy ending! It is so much fun learning how people meet and what they were thinking and feeling at the time. I needed a good romance story. Thanks.

Chess said...

I likey you. Thanks for sharing a lovely story!

What I Did Today said...

Good lookin' couple! Thanks for the walking us down your memory lane. Now I'm off to take a look at your other blog. And if you ever want to use one of my lines, crunchy or otherwise, feel perfectly free. Glad I made you smile. Have a fun weekend!

Perla Maria said...

How cute :)