Saturday, May 14, 2011

I didn't run alone

Today I participated in my very first 5k race. It was Dayton's Dash, a race put together by Spencer Zimmerman for his Eagle Project. All proceeds went to the Cerebral Palsy Foundation. Below is the link to Dayton and Spencer's beautiful story.


My running buddy had a sick little girl, so I was on my own. I felt so dumb standing around. I didn't really know anybody, not even the people who sponsored the race Ok I did know one person but not that well and I hadn't seen her in years so I didn't talk to her. I was by myself, and I had never run a race like this before.
Fortunately I brought my earphones.
I turned on Pandora a runner's best friend
And my cardio trainer app so I could get my time
And I was off.

I'm not a fast runner. I was getting passed my people pushing strollers. Dayton and Spencer, of course, left everyone in the dust. 
But still I ran. 
And as I ran, right in my path, I spotted

a ladybug.

And I knew then that even though I was by myself, I wasn't alone. I couldn't help the tears from falling as I continued on.
Never stopping.
It was hard. It was hot. But she was with me.

A 5k is a minimal distance if you compare it to a 10k, half or full marathon, but I got to run with my Ella by my side. And that is worth so much more to me than any ache, pain, or drop of sweat. 



9 comments:

Heather said...

This made my heart smile. Thank you for sharing and what a sweet reminder that you are indeed never alone.

Rie Teemant said...

So very sweet! I'm sure your Ladybug loved being there too.

Andrea Gunnell said...

Good job getting out and running and how special it must have been to have your little ladybug by your side. What a tender mercy!

Suzie said...

Love your take on life & your deep, pure faith.
Keep it up, friend.
And Happy Belated Mothers Day!

Saimi said...

You are AMAZING and that little lady bug of yours was really watching out for you! That's really special Amy! :)

ailinh said...

Very tender. Thanks for sharing this!

What I Did Today said...

**goose bumps on my arms and warmth in my heart** That is awesome. And good for you. I'm so happy you were reminded that you are never alone. I watched that movie several weeks ago and was so touched by it. How cool to be in the same race as them!

Patrice said...

I am sure she is always so close and delights in reminding you!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

I've never run a 5k. You're a batter woman than me. Someday....
My kids were all outside chasing and catching ladybugs the other day, and I thought of you.