Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Starting an etsy shop . . .?

I adore making money from painting. I could face paint all day (even though my back would hurt). I never get sick of it.

I tried to start a custom art/mural business on the side but I never advertised for it much and since my pregnancy, it has sort-of gotten lost . . . like when you drop something into your purse and it falls into the vortex of no return with all the ear-ring backs and matching socks.

I've got some paintings I'd like to sell. So I thought, why not start an etsy shop?
Hmm.
I don't know what it is about this that has me so hesitant. It's like... a ten cent investment. Stand back, Oliver Warbucks.
Maybe I just need some encouragement from those who have started an etsy shop of their own. (Jamie??) *smile*

I love Disney, so I thought I'd do paintings of a more non-traditional, out-of-the-way kind. Here are some pictures me and Bret took at Disneyland. The first one I've already started painting:

 this one is just gorgeous.

I love the sign with the castle in the background.


This one is so iconic America. Bret took this picture.

So what do you think?

5 comments:

What I Did Today said...

Do it! Those would all make awesome paintings! I'm having fun with our etsy shop and I've only just begun! Wait. Is "begun" even a word? Anyways, you get my point.

ailinh said...

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try! I know there are people who look for sweet artwork on Etsy... like me. I usually go on there to find simple and neat paintings that don't cost like my arm and leg, so I'm sure there are people who are clicking thru the same thing like me. :) I say go for it!

Dani said...

I do like Etsy, however I heard some things from people when they were closing their etsy accounts and starting their own sites when I was a web consultant for godaddy. You can't individualize yourself. Meaning you cannot submit the site to search engines for your particular page. You are not "supposed" to really advertise your page outside of the Etsy community. I think it is a great way to get started though. Just read the fine print carefully. If you want we can help you start up an actual site as well and if you really want to get out there, I know SEO and adwords very well for advertising such. Just let me know. You got connections.. use em';)

Saimi said...

Oh my gosh, you paint? Amy that's AWESOME now you have to do it, I must see your work!!

Kassi Jane said...

do it! your so awsome!