Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ladybug's Diagnosis

Ever get tired of roller coasters? I think that's why they're so short. Riding one for more than thirty seconds takes away all the thrill and just makes your stomach hurt.
That's kind of how it is with doctor's appointments these days. I go in with a smile and walk out with a worry.


I have to go in for ultrasounds twice a week now.
Which means I have to quit my job earlier than we thought.
Those of you who know me well would think I'd be smiling broadly about that.
Instead I feel like a quitter even though I'm quitting for a greater cause. Which goes to show you how brainwashed I've become from working 7 years for a person who believes that work should take precedence over everything... weddings, illness, even kidney stones. ok I exaggerate. a little.


Ladybug needs to be monitored closely to watch for fluid forming around her organs. She was pretty sleepy at our last appointment, so it took a while to check her for "practice breathing." Of course, she was energetic before and after the appointment, but not during. On the flip side, at the cardiologist, when we needed her to sit still so they could get all the pictures of her heart, she wouldn't stop squirming. Foreshadowing? Probably.


Another concern they have is I have a LOT of amniotic fluid. Which makes my uterus big. Which may make it think I'm farther along than I really am. This is another reason I have to quit my job: I CAN'T go into preterm labor. 40 weeks, baby. I'm making it to 40 weeks. 

So here's the full diagnosis. You ready? Don't worry, I couldn't remember it at first either. I still don't.
She has a complete Atrioventricular Septal Defect (two holes on the inner septum between the chambers) or AVSD. This is also called an Endocardial Cushion Defect or Common Atrioventricular Canal. 
She also has severe regurgitation from the left ventricle to the right atrium because the valve isn't working properly.


She will need surgery immediately after birth, once she's stabilized. 


Prognosis? They didn't give me one. The doctor only said that to repair this kind of defect is extremely complicated. So it's basically the worst-case-scenario in a four-chambered heart. 


I have nothing else to say. No pearls of wisdom. Just passing along information. I'm still praying my guts out for a miracle, for faith sufficient, for anything. But I'm just so tired. I just want my baby.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Hang in there Amy! You are in our prayers!

Saimi said...

Bless your heart Amy! Still praying for you!

AZ Wrights said...

Wow Amy...that's some heavy news. Will be thinking of you over these next weeks. Don't feel bad about putting "family first."!!

jen said...

I love you Amy. You are all continually in my prayers. I can't wait to meet this sweet angel who is loved so much already by so many. We love you Ladybug!

Patrice said...

Does it feel like you had to grow up over night? I sure felt that way. I predict you be able to hold and love that little baby daughter and see her grow up to have children of her own!

Marilyn said...

I love you Amsie! Hang in there!

Suzie said...

Just checking in to see how you are and letting you know you are still in my thoughts & prayers!

What I Did Today said...

Well, I will continue to keep you, your hubs, and your sweet ladybug in my prayers. I pray that you have the fastest, lowest pain labor possible. I pray for the doctors attending you both. I pray that Ladybug is stabilized quickly. I pray that surgery goes well and that you will be calm and peaceful throughout. I linked to one of your posts today. You are amazing to me!

Rachel Clare said...

Amy, you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. May peace and understanding and miracles be yours!!