Monday, January 23, 2012

Reading Machine

In the last month, I've read four books. What's more... none of them were from the genre I typically read.
Which is YA fantasy fiction.
Because I like to write YA fantasy fiction.
So it's like homework.
The fun kind.

But this last month I've taken a break from my norm. sudden allusion to the television show cheers. Norm!
Anyway, I've been reading my brains out and have discovered complete GEMS!

The first


I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. My sister advised me on that. The movie was a fantastic adaptation but I'm SO glad that I read the book first.
In my limited experience with racial issues and civil rights (I love and have respect for all hard-working people, whatever shade of lovely they wear on the outside, but I'm not much of an activist.) I have to say this book was eye-opening, heart-breaking, and beautifully written. I loved it and I'm so glad it was gifted to me so that I can have it always. It's such a great book to have on my shelf.

The second:


A friend let me borrow this book. A little bit of mystery and yumminess mixed in! I love the Josi Kilpack books. They're suspenseful and fun this one especially was a page-turner. I find myself wishing I was the main character, Sadie Hoffmiller's friend or neighbor. She's got spunk. This particular book is the fourth in the Sadie Hoffmiller culinary mysteries. They just keep getting better and better!

The next, naturally:

My friend let me borrow this one too. She wasn't finished reading the latest book, Pumpkin Roll, but that one is definitely on my list and hopefully she'll lend that one to me too! (Thanks, Barb!!!)
This next installment in Sadie Hoffmiller's adventures was just as delicious as the previous. A lot of heart, a lot of questions that kept me wondering WHO-DUNNIT, and recipes I am dying to try as soon as I get over this pregnancy-induced nausea over anything that smells too much.
I just love that adorable Sadie!!


And the one I just finished today: (also borrowed from Barb)


Oh. My. Goodness!!
At first I had a hard time getting into it. The book is made up completely of correspondence letters between writer Juliet Ashton and the various people in her life. At first I wondered who the main character was, if Sidney was a guy or a girl (he's a guy, Juliet's editor), who Susan and Sophie were, and was this book ever going to go to normal format? Then with an onset of migraine headaches, I was afraid to read for a couple of days. 
But then I got into the rhythm of the letters, got to know who was who and where they were from, and came to love the characters as though I was a member of their society. I was hooked and it became a quick read.

There's a lot of history in this book even though the characters are fictional. I found myself rooting for the good guys, feeling sorrow at their losses, and cheering with them at every triumph. Like the Help, this book gives a new perspective, sometimes a raw and sad one. But it was a beautiful book. Another I would one day like to have on my shelf. 

Want to see what's next on my list??
Of course you do.
I'm way too stinkin excited for these next ones to arrive in the mail to not share it with you.

This one is written by a friend of mine and she has promised to autograph it for me as soon as I can get it to her. Yay!!


Aaaaaaand, *squeeeeee!*


Sequel to my favorite book of all time, Austenland! Ohhhh I can't WAIT!!!
I ordered these on Amazon a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they won't send Risen without also sending Midnight in Austenland and the latter won't be released until early February. Ugh. I hate to wait.

In the mean time, I'm also working on reading Book one of the Belgariad Series by David Eddings. (Thanks, Darci!)

Whew!! Hope all this reading reawakens the WRITING bug in me.

11 comments:

Saimi said...

Amy, Amy, Amy you are a reading machine!! Holy cow girl four books in one month.

You've got me interested in Josi Kilpacks books. I love a good mystery. I'm afraid that by seeing the movie, 'The Help' I won't be able to read the book, but you have so many others that look intriguing.

Thanks for the review!

Heather said...

Good for you! I love reading and have missed it these apst few months. I have read The Help and Potato Peel Society, both excellent as you mentioned. I will have to look into this culinary mystery series. I have been reading a similar genre by Joanne Fluke: http://www.murdershebaked.com/

Sounds like this series you are reading is the same idea! Fun easy reads with yummy recipes.

La la said...

OH MY GOODNESS! a sequel to Austenland?!? That news just made my week!!!

What I Did Today said...

Cool! I need to read some fun books since all I've been reading lately is parenting and sewing books. I'll definitely look into the ones you have posted about here.

Jennie said...

I just read The Help this month, and completely LOVED it! I'm so excited to see the movie, but am waiting for a friend to finish the book now. I'm interested in those other books now. Thanks for the tips, cause I'm going to look them up. Especially Austenland!

Mari said...

Have you read Graceling? I just finished it a few days ago and something about it just made me think of you and I wanted to recommend it. I really enjoyed it. I'll have to look into Josi Kilpack, I love finding new authors!

Lisa Payne said...

I LOVED The Help...I still haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm waiting on pins and needles for my MIL to get her copy back from my SIL so I can see it! I also read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" back a year or two ago and I was really surprised with how much I loved it! I don't usually like the book that are written correspondence style...I have a hard time getting into them, but I LOVED this one.

Keep posting books! They give me good ideas what to read next.

Momza said...

The Help is so wonderfully written that when I came to the final pages, I was sad to leave those characters behind. I'm excited to see if Octavia wins Best Supp Actress for her role in the movie. Loved. It!

Shannon Baker said...

So....what's it gonna take to get you to come to the "Rogue" book club? It would be fun to have you join our group!

Patrice said...

I have Pumpkin Roll if you'd like to borrow it. :)
I just read Blackberry Crumble and really enjoyed it, too.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Hmmm.... Austanland huh? Haven't heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

And seriously, when I go on a reading binge, everything around me fall apart.

And my house looks like it threw up on itself.

I LOVE reading!!!